About: History & Archives
Francisco J. Ayala
Donald Bren Professor of Biological Sciences, University of California, Irvine.
AAAS Presidential Address: Fracisco J. Ayala, "The Myth of Eve: Molecular Biology and Human Origins," Science (22 December 1995) 270:1930-1936.
Discipline: Evolutionary biology
AAAS offices held:
- Chair, Committee on the Health of the Scientific Enterprise, 1991 - 1993
- Chair, Council Affairs, 1993 - 1994
- Chair, Annual Meeting Scientific Program Committee, 1994 - 1995
- President, 1995
- Chair, Executive Committee of the Board of Directors, 1996 - 1997
- Chair, Committee for the Program of Dialogue on Science, Ethics, and Religion, 1999 - 2000
AAAS awards and honors:
- AAAS Scientific Freedom and Responsibility Award, 1987.
For speaking out forcefully on the scientific basis for the theory of evolution, while seeking a foundation of scientific knowledge and logic that demonstrates a common ground for evolutionary theory and ethical values.