1917 - 2005
Distinguished Professor (emeritus), State University of New York at Stonybrook.
AAAS Presidential Address: Bentley Glass, "Science: Endless Horizons or Golden Age?" Science (8 January 1971) 171:23-29.Discipline: Genetics AAAS offices held:
- Editor of Science (acting), 1953
- Chair, Committee on Publications, 1961 - 1966
- Chair, Council Affairs, 1968
- President, 1969
- Chair, Executive Committee of the Board of Directors, 1970
- Chair, Committee on Scientific Freedom and Responsibility, 1977 - 1978
- AAAS Philip Hauge Abelson Prize, 1991.
For his distinguished career of service on many fronts. As an outstanding biologist, geneticist, and adviser to the U.S. government, his contributions have helped to improve the teaching of biology, increase the public's understanding of science, and vigorously defend scientific freedom.