Photo by Yoichi R. Okamoto.
1913 - 2004
As editor of Science from 1962 to 1984, Dr. Abelson implemented more efficient peer review procedures for scientific papers submitted to the magazine and encouraged a more active style of science reporting that included broader coverage of science and policy issues. Among his scientific accomplishments, Dr. Abelson colloborated in the discovery of neptunium(element 93)and devised a method for large-scale synthesis of enriched uranium for use as a power source in submarines. He served as director of the Carnegie Institution of Washington's Geophysical Laboratory from 1953 to 1971.Disciplines: Physics, Chemistry AAAS offices held:
- Editor of Science, 1962 - 1984
- Chair, Committee on AAAS Meetings, 1962
- Executive Officer (acting), 1974 - 1975
- Executive Officer (acting), 1989
- William D. Carey Lecture, 1997.
- Library of Congress, Manuscript Division