About: History & Archives
150 Years of Advancing Science: A History of AAAS
The first issue of the reborn Science was published on February 9, 1883, under the editorship of Samuel H. Scudder. A librarian and nationally-known entomologist (as well as a relative of Hubbard's), Scudder got the journal off to a strong start; within a year it had gained over 2,000 subscribers.
Scudder resigned in late 1884 and was succeeded by his young and unknown assistant, N. D. C. Hodges. Losses mounted over the next several years as Hodges sought unsuccessfully to make Science self-sufficient. Among the signs of Hodges's increasing desperation was the introduction of advertising for patent medicines in the late 1880s, a move disapproved by former sponsors and some readers.
By March of 1894, despite a list of 3,000 subscribers and Hodges's efforts to solicit funds, Science was once again in extremis. In November 1894, with the agreement of Bell and Hubbard, ownership was transferred to James McKeen Cattell, a professor of psychology at Columbia University. Cattell subsequently worked out an agreement with AAAS, turned Science into America's premier scientific journal, and edited it for the next 50 years.